'Public schools' - that count heavy weights such as Eton, Harrow and Rugby among their membership - are so called because enrolment is open to the general public, providing said public can pay the fees!
Independent schools, public schools and private schools are essentially the same thing and have history to blame for their different and perhaps confusing, range of names.
Independent schools range from the glorious and great to tiny schools run by parents who want a particular kind of education for their children. They have no state funding, instead they rely on tuition fees, gifts and endowments.
Register for our Newsletter...
...and receive our FREE expert guide to Tutors!
Education News Feeds
Latest Education News from around the web.
- The talented students denied funding
- Morgan urges Muslims to become school governors after Trojan horse
- Talk of some jobs as like being on the scrapheap demeans us all
- 328 ?failed? teachers in classrooms educating children
- Students 'offered money for photos of 'Jihadi John' Halloween costumes'
- Teacher resigns after sticking tape to child's mouth
The Good Schools Guide is not responsible for the content of external internet sites