The English School System
'The age of transfer to independent senior school is typically 13 but some schools will not accept registrations for those older than 10 which means the search has to begin when a child is only 8 years of age!'
Confused? Do you need to navigate schools and schooling?
Work out what to do when with our "Learning Tree", this beautifully illustrates both
the state school and independent school systems in England.
Use in conjunction with From Embryo to 18 - How To Survive The Education Highway which explains what to do, when.
Click on sections of the enlarged image below - such as the 'Common Entrance Owl'- or 'State cloud' (or on any of the tabs underneath the illustration). These will take you directly to information and advice on that topic.
Click on the map to find out more
We have a whole series of articles and advice to help you every step of the way; whether tentatively embarking on choosing a school, or part way through the school choice process.
For those new to the process:
For those visiting schools:
For those contemplating the admissions process:
Subscribe to The Good Schools Guide Online for as little as £3.25 per month*
Register for our Newsletter...
...and receive our FREE expert guide to Tutors!
Education News Feeds
Latest Education News from around the web.
- Exam pressure: A tutor's eye view
- Cameron: British miss out on jobs because they lack basic skills
- Children don't respond to scare tactics, teachers told
- Take pupils to the pub for their school lunch, urges minister for shops
- Section 28-style bans on promoting homosexuality on the rise in UK schools, teachers say
- Marking boycott: should postgrads who teach side with students or staff?
The Good Schools Guide is not responsible for the content of external internet sites