Leighton Primary School, Crewe has high levels of deprivation but low levels of SEN. Their aim is not just 'every child a reader' but to help all children discover the joy of reading and develop a life-long love of the written word.
'In reception, phonics work begins in earnest. Phonological awareness and language proficiency are needed to develop decoding and phonics skills but a child will struggle to develop phonological awareness skills if language has not developed...'
As part of her work helping The Good Schools Guide support Dyslexia Action, Sandra Hutchinson visited Leighton Primary School to uncover the secrets of its success.
Register for our Newsletter...
...and receive our FREE expert guide to Tutors!
Education News Feeds
Latest Education News from around the web.
- Exam appeals change 45,500 grades
- Are British students getting fitter or fatter?
- Alan Tuckett: the man who invented the adult learner
- Freedom of the press? Not for student newspapers
- Why the need for a gender divide in school uniforms? Or loos?
- Spot the difference: why do more men teach in independent schools?
The Good Schools Guide is not responsible for the content of external internet sites