Leighton Primary School, Crewe has high levels of deprivation but low levels of SEN. Their aim is not just 'every child a reader' but to help all children discover the joy of reading and develop a life-long love of the written word.
'In reception, phonics work begins in earnest. Phonological awareness and language proficiency are needed to develop decoding and phonics skills but a child will struggle to develop phonological awareness skills if language has not developed...'
As part of her work helping The Good Schools Guide support Dyslexia Action, Sandra Hutchinson visited Leighton Primary School to uncover the secrets of its success.
Register for our Newsletter...
...and receive our FREE expert guide to Tutors!
Education News Feeds
Latest Education News from around the web.
- Ofsted launches new inquiry into superheads schools
- Students fined over sexist chants
- Secret Teacher: stop treating NQTs as cannon fodder
- Kids love to give the Bard some stick
- More private school pupils flock to overseas universities
- Murdoch University head quits after being referred to corruption watchdog
The Good Schools Guide is not responsible for the content of external internet sites