The Good Schools Guide is once again partnering with the Independent Schools Show in order to help parents find the best school for their child.
Building up to the annual London event - now postponed to 13-14 November 2021 - we are delighted to be co-presenting a series of online events, each one dealing with key questions relating to independent schools. The Good Schools Guide Parents Forum is organised by the Independent Schools Show in partnership with The Good Schools Guide.
Choosing a school for your SEN child
Tuesday, 2 March 2021 10.30am – 11.30am
Selecting the right school for a child with learning difficulties can seem an overwhelming task. From the biggest school to the smallest, to the ultra-selective to totally inclusive, all schools have a policy devoted to learning needs. So, if your child has an identified need, how do you work out which is right for them?
Good School Guide's SEN expert, Charlotte Phillips will be joined by Cavendish Education schools whose independent day and boarding schools provide an all-round education for children.
- Differences between Specialist SEN School and a mainstream school with learning support
- Types of support and Schools
- How to choose the right school - what to look for?
Researching Schools Online
Thursday, 15 October 2020 10.30am – 11.30am
Choosing a school is a process of elimination. It is important to see several schools so that you can imagine your child in those settings and to enable you to prioritise your wish list. However, when researching school options, it is not always be possible to visit when you would like and so making best use of the wealth of information you can access via the internet becomes essential.
This online event, organised with the Independent Schools Show, is designed to inform parents of the best ways to research schools without visiting.
- What does a school’s website tell you about the school?
- Emailing the school;
- Exam results and league tables;
- Virtual tours and online open days;
- Using social media;
- Online guides;
- Melanie Sanderson, Managing Editor of The Good Schools Guide and Vivien Kelly of the Indepedent Schools Inspectorate will be in discussion with Guy Schady-Beckett of Bonas MacFarlane.
Choosing a London School
Tuesday, 29 September 2020 10.30am – 11.30am
London is one of the most cutthroat education markets on the planet. Each year, thousands of families vie for places at one of the capital’s many sought-after independent schools. This competition has driven up standards and, in contrast to the rest of the country, has seen new schools open in recent years. When you also include the high-performing state schools, navigating the range of schooling options available to London parents can prove to be an unenviable task.
This online event, organised with the Independent Schools Show, is designed to help parents living in (or moving to) the capital deal with the extra pressures and complexities in finding a London school.
- The range in academic levels;
- Provision of sport and facilities in urban environment;
- Open days and school visits;
- How to plan for registration, admissions;
- Entrance exams and assessment;
- Grace Moody-Stuart, director of The Good Schools Guide Education Consultants, will be in discussion with headteachers of leading London independent schools.
The Return to Boarding Schools
Wednesday 15 July 2020 10.30am – 11.30am
Starting at boarding school is always a big event. The transition from living at home to living at school after extended lockdown raises new challenges.
This online event, organised with the Independent Schools Show, is designed to help British and international parents prepare their children to return or start at boarding school this autumn. It will also cover how schools are handling admissions.
- The re-opening of UK boarding schools;
- How to prepare your child this for the return to school;
- Safety and guidelines for pupils & staff;
- How quarantining will work;
- How admissions are working - virtual open days, deadlines, interviews & assessments.
- Speakers are Grace Moody-Stuart, director of The Good Schools Guide Education Consultants, Julia Harrington, Headmistress of Queen Anne’s, Caversham and Ben Evans, Headmaster elect, Windlesham House School