Who We Are
Lucas Publications Limited (‘we’ or ‘us’ or ‘our’) gather and process your personal information in accordance with this privacy notice and in compliance with the relevant data protection regulation and laws. This notice provides you with the necessary information regarding your rights and our obligations. It explains how, why and when we process your personal data.
Lucas Publications Limited’s registered office is at 4/4a Bloomsbury Square, London, WC1A 2RP and we are a company registered in England and Wales under company number 03509671.
We are registered on the Information Commissioner's Office Register, our registration number is Z7029871.
Our designated Data Protection Officer/Appointed Person is Susan Gowland, who can be contacted at 4/4a Bloomsbury Square, London, WC1A 2RP.
IMPORTANT: In order for the Good Schools Guide to deliver its services you may need to disclose to us information relating to a spouse or partner, and or the guardian(s) of and your child (ren) who is(are) (a) minor(s). Please make sure you check and ensure that express consent is communicated to us relating to each adult whose personal information you may need to disclose to us in the course of our provision of services to you.
Information That We Collect
We process your personal information to meet our legal, statutory and contractual obligations and to provide you with our services. We will never collect any unnecessary personal data from you and do not process your information in any way, other than as specified in this notice.
The personal data that we collect is:
- Date of birth
- Home address
- Personal email
- Business email
- Home telephone number
- Mobile telephone number
- Employment status
- Highest education level
- Special category data (i.e. health/medical information, details about religion, sexuality etc)
- Other information may include notes of conversations etc. Some of this information could be highly personal, relating to the child, its parents, family circumstances and school(s). We need this information to enable our educational advisers to provide accurate advice on schooling options.
We may collect information in the below ways:
- Cookies (to see how and why they work and to control them please click here)
- Enquiry form
- Live chat
- Records of personal meetings with education consultants
How we use your personal data
We may process your personal information
- for negotiation, setting up and performance of a contract with you;
- to provide the correct level of support for our education consultants and others involved in providing our services to you
- to analyse (and to enable specialist analytics programmes to analyse) traffic on our website and to understand how the website is used to help us plan develop and improve its functionality;
- on an anonymised basis to predict demand for and review the use of our services, to optimise return on and to increase the effectiveness and or scope of services we provide;
- to improve your awareness and experience of our website and interaction with our services and access to our third-party education consultants or to educational institutions;
- to send you information about or linked with our services where we have assessed that it could be of benefit to you or your dependents
- for so long as you consent to receive it to send third party marketing and or to promote other educational services where you are likely to be interested in making use of such products and services;
- to detect and understand market trends to produce anonymised market analysis reports and data for use in our business sector;
- to check prospective clients’ financial status and credit ratings with credit reference agencies, banks and financial institutions;
- to introduce and or facilitate connections between clients and third-party service providers;
- to produce aggregated and anonymised data to share with third party service providers (including schools and other educational institutions) and
- where necessary to enable contractors we use to support our business (such as our website hosting providers)
- to seek help from our professional advisers to comply with our statutory obligations as an English registered company or to obtain legal advice;
- if we are permitted or required to do so by law or the order of a duly constituted court or tribunal;
- to comply with anti-money laundering procedures or for the prevention and detection of crime;
You have the following rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 in relation to your personal information:
- upon giving us satisfactory proof of your identity, to be given a copy of the personal information we hold about you or your dependents who are minors
- to access your and or where minors your dependents personal information in machine-readable format and to ask that we transfer this to a third party data controller.
- to tell us not to contact you further for marketing purposes even if you have previously consented to receive this kind of communication.
- to object to processing your and or where minors your dependents’ personal information in a way which causes or will cause damage or distress.
- upon satisfying the statutory requirements, to have inaccurate personal information about you and or where minors your dependents’ rectified, taken down from or deleted from our systems.
- to object to decisions about you and or where minors your dependents’ being taken by automated means.
- to seek compensation for damage caused to you and or where minors your dependents’ by our breach of data protection legislation and (if we do not address your concerns to your satisfaction) to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office in respect of our use of your and or where minors your dependents’ personal information.
If you have any concerns about your and or where minors your dependents’ entitlements, please notify us by emailing our data protection officer at [email protected] We shall do our best to accommodate your request or objection. Please note that not all your and or where minors your dependents’ rights are absolute. Sometimes other legal obligations or third-party rights will take precedence.
Sharing and disclosing your personal information
We do not share or disclose any of your and or where minors your dependents’ personal information without your consent, other than for the purposes specified in this notice or where there is a legal requirement imposed on us by statute or the order of a duly constituted court or tribunal.
Data Protection compliance measures
The Good Schools Guide treats your and your dependents’ privacy seriously and takes every reasonable measure and precaution to protect and secure your and their personal data. We work hard to protect you and your dependents and your personal information from unauthorised access, alteration, disclosure or destruction and have several layers of security measures in place, including: -
- SSL Connections
- Restricted access
- IT authentication
The Good Schools Guide uses some products or services (or parts of them) that may be hosted/stored on the cloud or servers operated from the United States of America or Australia. This means that we may transfer information which is submitted by you through our website outside the European Economic Area ("EEA") for the purposes to which you have indicated your consent to receive below:
- Email marketing
- Newsletter via Campaign Monitor
Therefore, when you use our website or sign up to our newsletter, the personal information you submit may be stored on the cloud and or servers which are hosted outside the E.U. Where this is the case, we will take steps to ensure that those providers use the necessary level of protection for your and or where minors your dependents’ information. Our service providers operate data protection measures at standards which are compliant with the requirements of and standards expected under European Union legislation.
Consequences of not providing all relevant personal information
You are not obliged to supply your and or where minors your dependents’ personal information to The Good Schools Guide. However, as this information is required for us to provide you with our and our education consultants’ services or to deliver legitimate interests we will not be able to offer some/all of our services without it.
As noted in the ‘How we use your personal data’ section of this notice, in accordance with the Information Commissioner’s Office’s recommended procedures we occasionally analyse and process your and or where minors your dependents’ personal information to ensure we are complying with the Data Protection Act. Where this is the case, we carry out a thorough Legitimate Interests Assessment (LIA) to ensure that we have weighed your and or where minors your dependents’ interests and any risk posed to you and or where minors your dependents against our own interests, ensuring that they are proportionate and appropriate.
How long we keep your data
The Good Schools Guide keeps your data routinely for no more than seven years from the end of our interaction with you or three years after the achievement of majority (age of 18) of any minor who has been the subject of any service we or our education consultants have delivered or facilitated its delivery to you, whichever is the longer.
Lodging a complaint
The Good Schools Guide
4/4a Bloomsbury Square
Information Commissioner's Office
Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number