Skip to main content
Schools can be cagey in the extreme when it comes to revealing anything which might make them vulnerable to a complaint, including information about your child. So what are your rights in terms of accessing your child’s educational records?

In a state maintained school, this is straightforward: regulations give you the right to see your child’s records, and in Scotland, this right extends to independent schools. But this is not the case for independent schools, free schools and academies in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. In fact, you may well have signed a contract giving the school control of information when your child started at the school. But it is possible to see educational records by a different route: the right of subject access under the Data Protection Act (DPA).

Rights under the DPA entitle you to see information held by another about yourself. It is the pupil’s right to make a Subject Access Request (SAR) to see their records, but a parent, or someone with parental responsibility, can make an SAR on their child’s behalf if the child has given their consent, or is unable to act on their own behalf. (In broad terms, a child of 12 or more is likely to be considered mature enough to make their own SAR.)

There are two types of request that can be made, with different rules for time limits and fees:

  • a request to see (or have copies of) your child’s educational record
  • a request to see (or have copies of) all personal data relating to your child.

A request for sight or copies of educational records must be responded to within 15 school days. Educational records include any records, notes, emails and correspondence containing your child’s name. The school does not have to include information kept by a teacher solely for their own use, information provided about a pupil by the parents of another pupil, or information that might cause serious mental or physical harm to a pupil. Schools must provide sight of records for free, or can charge for copies at a maximum rate detailed in the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) guidance (from £1 for 1-19 pages up to £50 for 500 + pages).

A request for all personal data outside the educational record (which could include information in un-filed correspondence and informal notes made by teachers) requires a response within 40 calendar days, and there is a maximum charge of £10 for this information.

To make a request, you should write to the school’s board of governors. State you wish to make an SAR on behalf of your child under the DPA and would like to see (or have copies of) any information held by or on behalf of a school about your child. Refer to the deadline that applies when dealing with requests for copies of records.

You can make an SAR for information about exams, requesting an examiner’s comments on a candidate’s performance (whether on script or marking sheet) and details of marks. You are not entitled to see a pupil’s exam script. Special rules apply to these requests, to stop people using a SAR to get results early. If an SAR is made before results are announced, the response must be the earlier of five months from the date of the request, or 40 days from the date on which results are announced.

What if a school doesn’t respond to your request within the time frame, or refuses to grant access to the records? Write back to the school and remind them of your request and their obligations under the DPA, stating that in the absence of a prompt response you will report the matter to the ICO ( 0303 123 1113). If a school is failing to comply with the DPA, the ICO may issue an enforcement notice. It may take a while if it is necessary to involve the ICO, but a school can eventually be forced to reveal all the information they hold on your child.


Related articles

  • Special Needs introduction

    Signs of special needs in school age children; how to get help; which type of school to choose; Education, Health and Care Plans ... Read more ... Need help? Perhaps you suspect your child has some learning difficulty and you would like advice on what you should do. Or perhaps it is becoming clear that your child's current school is not working for him or her, and you need help to find a mainstream school which has better SEN provision, or to find a special school which will best cater for your child's area of need.  Our SEN team helps…

  • The Good Schools Guide online subscription

    Find the best school for your child. One month subscription - £0.49 per day Three month subscription - £0.41 per day Six month subscription - £0.33 per day One year subscription - £0.29 per day Register for instant access to: ☑ Search for more than 30000 schools in our parent friendly interactive directory. ☑ Create and save lists of schools via My Schools. ☑ Use our comparison grid to get an exam results overview of schools you are interested in. ☑ Find comprehensive advice on state and independent schools, tutors and special needs. ☑ Receive our monthly newsletter. For further…

  • Where to find a state grammar school

    Identifying and locating grammar schools. Grammar schools are located in 36 English local authorities. Almost half of these are considered 'selective authorities' (eg Kent and Buckinghamshire), where around one in five local children are selected for grammar school entry based on ability. The others are areas such as Barnet or Kingston, with only a few grammar schools.

  • Schools for children with performing arts talents

    As proud parents, we all know our children are unique. They're smarter than anyone else's, funnier, certainly more attractive, better behaved and above all bursting with the kind of talent that would leave Daniel Radcliffe, Jamie Bell and Charlotte Church standing. And for some extraordinary - though totally understandable - reason, everyone but us seems blind to our offspring's God-given artistic gifts.

  • State boarding schools: free tuition just pay for your stay!

    If you think your child would benefit from a boarding school education, but are put off by the high fees and consequent limited social mix of a typical independent boarding school, you may find that a state boarding school is the answer

Subscribe for instant access to in-depth reviews, data and catchment:

Comprehensive catchment maps for English state schools inc. year of entry.
 School exam results by subject and performance GCSE, Alevel or equivalent.
 Which schools pupils come from and go onto.
 Honest, opinionated and fearless independent reviews of more than 1,100+ schools.
 Overall school performance by GCSE, Alevel or equivalent.
 School data comparison by A/B weighted, relative success and popularity.
 Compare schools by qualities and results.
 Independent tutor company reviews.

Try before you buy - The Charter School Southwark

The Good Schools Guide subscription

 GSG Blog >    In the news >


The Good Schools Guide Newsletter

Educational insight in your inbox. Sign up for our popular newsletters.

Stand by for some myth-busting from our SEN consultants


Just published - The Good Schools Guide 21st edition - 1200 schools fully reviewed and updated. Buy now