Skip to main content
No one knows more about TCKs than long-time diplomatic operator of many initials (TCK, CLO), Leslie Teixeira - born a TCK, married to a TCK, and raising TCKs. This just in....
You Know You're a TCK If....
According to Wikipedia, a Third Culture Kid "refers to someone who [as a child] has spent a significant period of time in one or more culture(s) other than his own, thus integrating elements of those cultures and their own birth culture into a third culture".
- You flew before you could walk.
- The U.S. is a foreign country.
- You have a time zone map next to your telephone.
- Your life story uses the phrase "Then we went to..." five times.
- You think in grams, meters, and liters.
- You speak with authority on the quality of airline travel.
- National Geographic makes you homesick.
- You don't know where home is.
- You sort your friends by continent.
- The majority of your friends don't speak English as a first language.
- Someone brings up the name of a team, and you get the sport wrong.
- On your 18th birthday you have a passport (well-used) but still don't have a driver's license.
- When you don't know how to count American money.
- When you enjoy getting together with other TCKs and talking about old news.
Signs of special needs in school age children; how to get help; which type of school to choose; Education, Health and Care Plans ...
Read more ...
Perhaps you suspect your child has some learning difficulty and you would like advice on what you should do. Or perhaps it is becoming clear that your child's current school is not working for him or her, and you need help to find a mainstream school which has better SEN provision, or to find a special school which will best cater for your child's area of need. Our SEN team helps…
Find the best school for your child.
One month subscription - £0.49 per day
Three month subscription - £0.41 per day
Six month subscription - £0.33 per day
One year subscription - £0.29 per day
Register for instant access to:
☑ Search for more than 30000 schools in our parent friendly interactive directory.
☑ Create and save lists of schools via My Schools.
☑ Use our comparison grid to get an exam results overview of schools you are interested in.
☑ Find comprehensive advice on state and independent schools, tutors and special needs.
☑ Receive our monthly newsletter.
Identifying and locating grammar schools. Grammar schools are located in 36 English local authorities. Almost half of these are considered 'selective authorities' (eg Kent and Buckinghamshire), where around one in five local children are selected for grammar school entry based on ability. The others are areas such as Barnet or Kingston, with only a few grammar schools.
As proud parents, we all know our children are unique. They're smarter than anyone else's, funnier, certainly more attractive, better behaved and above all bursting with the kind of talent that would leave Daniel Radcliffe, Jamie Bell and Charlotte Church standing. And for some extraordinary - though totally understandable - reason, everyone but us seems blind to our offspring's God-given artistic gifts.
If you think your child would benefit from a boarding school education, but are put off by the high fees and consequent limited social mix of a typical independent boarding school, you may find that a state boarding school is the answer