No one knows more about TCKs than long-time diplomatic operator of many initials (TCK, CLO), Leslie Teixeira - born a TCK, married to a TCK, and raising TCKs. This just in....
You Know You're a TCK If....
According to Wikipedia, a Third Culture Kid "refers to someone who [as a child] has spent a significant period of time in one or more culture(s) other than his own, thus integrating elements of those cultures and their own birth culture into a third culture".
- You flew before you could walk.
- The U.S. is a foreign country.
- You have a time zone map next to your telephone.
- Your life story uses the phrase "Then we went to..." five times.
- You think in grams, meters, and liters.
- You speak with authority on the quality of airline travel.
- National Geographic makes you homesick.
- You don't know where home is.
- You sort your friends by continent.
- The majority of your friends don't speak English as a first language.
- Someone brings up the name of a team, and you get the sport wrong.
- On your 18th birthday you have a passport (well-used) but still don't have a driver's license.
- When you don't know how to count American money.
- When you enjoy getting together with other TCKs and talking about old news.