Queen Ethelburga's College A GSG School
- Queen Ethelburga's College
Thorpe Underwood Hall
- Head: Mr Steven Jandrell (Principal)
- T 01423 333330
- F 01423 333310
- E firstname.lastname@example.org
- W www.qe.org
- A mainstream independent school for pupils aged from 14 to 20 with a linked prep and middle school
- Boarding: Yes
- Local authority: North Yorkshire
- Pupils: 476
- Religion: Christian Inter-denominational
- Fees: Day £14,775 - £15,720; Boarding £34,110 - £35,769; International Boarding £41,799 - £44,118 pa
- Open days: September November January March June
- Review: View The Good Schools Guide Review
- ISI report: View the ISI report
- Linked schools: Chapter House Preparatory School and King's Magna Middle School, The Faculty of Queen Ethelburga's
What The Good Schools Guide says..
Describes itself as a ‘broad church’ – and it’s certainly that, though all faiths and none are welcome. In fact anyone who can afford it is welcome really – with little academic selection and a determination to meet all needs,...
What the school says...
As soon as you arrive at Queen Ethelburga's you sense that, here is somewhere special, friendly and pleasingly different. Our campus is exceptional, with a range and quality of facilities few can equal and an unparalleled variety of courses to suit all tastes and aptitudes. Pupils, past and present, will tell of our successful commitment to them as individuals, our dedicated caring staff and the practical completeness of the education we provide. We ask every student to strive for the Hill Standard - 'to be the best that I can with the gifts that I have'. ...Read more
Thank the school
Parents and pupils often have cause to acknowledge the help and support they have received from their schools, for example in helping in the choice of further education or careers. "Say thank you" allows you to send a quick note of appreciation to the school in general or to an individual teacher.
This is a thank you to your school, teacher or careers adviser who helped you to get where you are now.
Please fill in the fields below, which we will transform into a letter of thanks from you to them.
2015 Good Schools Guide Awards
- Excellent performance by Girls taking Mathematics (Further) at an English Independent School (GCE A level)
2016 Good Schools Guide Awards
- Best performance by Boys taking Chinese at an English Independent School (GCSE Full Course)
- Best performance by Boys taking Russian at an English Independent School (GCSE Full Course)
- Best performance by Girls taking Russian at an English Independent School (GCSE Full Course)
All-through school (for example 3-18 years). - An all-through school covers junior and senior education. It may start at 3 or 4, or later, and continue through to 16 or 18. Some all-through schools set exams at 11 or 13 that pupils must pass to move on.
International Study Centre - school has a linked, international study centre for overseas students wishing to improve their English.
What The Good Schools Guide saysDescribes itself as a ‘broad church’ – and it’s certainly that, though all faiths and none are welcome. In fact anyone who can afford it is welcome really – with little academic selection and a determination to meet all needs, the place could be in danger of becoming a jack of all trades, but its current level of success...
Since 2006, Mr Steven Jandrell BA (50s), married to Margaret, with a young son at home. Warm, friendly, genuine and approachable, he understands education and enjoys discussing it. Well-respected and liked by staff and pupils, he’s part of the furniture, having been here for many years as head of music and deputy head. Long-standing parents describe him as ‘the best head so far'; ‘He’s a good listener who doesn’t bat you away with standard answers’. A successor...
Special Education Needs
We offer students with mild learning difficulties help and extra tuition. Nov 09.
|Condition||Provision for in school|
|ASD - Autistic Spectrum Disorder|
|Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders||Y|
|CReSTeD registered for Dyslexia|
|English as an additional language (EAL)|
|Has an entry in the Autism Services Directory|
|Has SEN unit or class||Y|
|HI - Hearing Impairment|
|MLD - Moderate Learning Difficulty|
|MSI - Multi-Sensory Impairment|
|Natspec Specialist Colleges|
|OTH - Other Difficulty/Disability|
|Other SpLD - Specific Learning Difficulty|
|PD - Physical Disability|
|PMLD - Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulty|
|SEMH - Social, Emotional and Mental Health|
|SLCN - Speech, Language and Communication|
|SLD - Severe Learning Difficulty|
|Special facilities for Visually Impaired|
|SpLD - Specific Learning Difficulty|
|VI - Visual Impairment|