Marlborough College A GSG School
- Marlborough College
- Head: Mr Jonathan Leigh
- T 01672 892300
- F 01672 892307
- E admissions@mar…ughcollege.org
- W www.marlboroughcollege.org
- A mainstream independent school for pupils aged from 13 to 19
- Boarding: Yes
- Local authority: Wiltshire
- Pupils: 937
- Religion: Church of England
- Fees: Day £29,985; Boarding £35,280 pa
- Open days: By invitation appropriate to year of entry.
- Review: View The Good Schools Guide Review
- ISI report: View the ISI report
What The Good Schools Guide says..
College motto is Deus dat Incrementum ('God gives the increase') but steady advance of exam results may have less divine origin. Exam syllabi excepted there seems to be an (admirable) ideological aversion to the churning out of standard curriculum fare...
What the school says...
Founded in 1843, and situated in one of the most attractive market towns in the country, Marlborough College is a large coeducational full boarding school for pupils aged between thirteen and eighteen. It is a remarkable place in an evocative and unique setting, and it enjoys the advantages of being within easy reach of London and indeed many other parts of the country. It promotes great breadth in learning and the small size of the classes ensures that each child is well cared for. Academic excellence is matched by outstanding co -curricular provision and all pupils become involved in a wide range of sporting and cultural activities. The quality of the education received outside the classroom is matched by the pastoral care given by the house system, which emphasizes the importance of rigor, respect and responsibility. ...Read more
Thank the school
Parents and pupils often have cause to acknowledge the help and support they have received from their schools, for example in helping in the choice of further education or careers. "Say thank you" allows you to send a quick note of appreciation to the school in general or to an individual teacher.
This is a thank you to your school, teacher or careers adviser who helped you to get where you are now.
Please fill in the fields below, which we will transform into a letter of thanks from you to them.
2015 Good Schools Guide Awards
- Best performance by Girls taking Classical Greek at an English Independent School (GCE AS level)
- Best performance by Boys taking Astronomy at an English Independent School (GCSE)
- Best performance by Girls taking Astronomy at an English Independent School (GCSE)
2016 Good Schools Guide Awards
- Best performance by Boys taking Italian at an English Independent School (Level1/2 certificates)
Cambridge Pre-U - an alternative to A levels, with all exams at the end of the two-year course.
What The Good Schools Guide saysCollege motto is Deus dat Incrementum ('God gives the increase') but steady advance of exam results may have less divine origin. Exam syllabi excepted there seems to be an (admirable) ideological aversion to the churning out of standard curriculum fare at Marlborough. There’s a real energy and buzz at Marlborough; you can feel it. Pupils are busy, busy, busy. Maybe too ...
Since 2012, Jonathan Leigh (60s), previously head of Ridley College, Canada and before that head of Blundell’s School and second master of Cranleigh School. Married to Emma, also a Cambridge history graduate, they have two grown up children and the obligatory black lab. Educated at St George’s Windsor where he was a chorister, thence to Eton. Degree in history from Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, where he was a choral exhibitioner. He still sings (tenor)...