Balcarras School A GSG School
- Balcarras School
East End Road
- Head: Mr C.M.Healy
- T 01242 515881
- F 01242 250620
- E admin@balcarra….gloucs.sch.uk
- W www.balcarras.gloucs.sch.uk
- A mainstream state school for pupils aged from 11 to 18
- Boarding: No
- Local authority: Gloucestershire
- Pupils: 1380
- Religion: Non-denominational
- Open days: First week in October
- Review: View the Good Schools Guide Review
- Current Ofsted grade: Outstanding on 21st May 2014
- Previous Ofsted grade: Outstanding on 25th February 2009
- Ofsted report: View the Ofsted report
What the Good Schools Guide says..
Parents describe the music and drama provision as ‘very impressive’. The school is well represented at the local Cheltenham Music Festival and the chamber choir recently won a national Music for Youth award. Cheery, bright and modern, the school has...
What the school says...
We are proud of the enjoyment and excitement pupils feel about their learning and their life in school. The sixth form continues to be supremely successful.
Thank the school
Parents and pupils often have cause to acknowledge the help and support they have received from their schools, for example in helping in the choice of further education or careers. "Say thank you" allows you to send a quick note of appreciation to the school in general or to an individual teacher.
This is a thank you to your school, teacher or careers adviser who helped you to get where you are now.
Please fill in the fields below, which we will transform into a letter of thanks from you to them.
2015 Good Schools Guide Awards
- Best performance by Boys taking Russian at an English Comprehensive School (GCE A level)
- Best performance by Girls taking Russian at an English Comprehensive School (GCE A level)
- Best performance by Boys taking Russian at an English Comprehensive School (GCSE)
- Excellent performance by Boys taking Additional Science at an English Comprehensive School (GCSE)
- Excellent performance by Boys taking Business Studies: Single at an English Comprehensive School (GCSE)
- Excellent performance by Girls taking Home Economics: Food at an English Comprehensive School (GCSE)
What The Good Schools Guide saysParents describe the music and drama provision as ‘very impressive’. The school is well represented at the local Cheltenham Music Festival and the chamber choir recently won a national Music for Youth award. Cheery, bright and modern, the school has made the most of its functional appearance. Big classrooms are flooded with natural light and large open views create a healthy sense of space. Primary colours abound (even floors and furniture are painted red) and walls are crammed with examples of work...
Since 1996, Mr Chris Healy BA MEd (50s), educated at Xaverian College, Manchester, before reading history and politics at Nottingham. Returned to Manchester for his PGCE and picked up his MEd from Leicester University whilst teaching in Milton Keynes. Worked his way up teaching history through five comprehensives (including deputy headship of Tewkesbury School
Special Education Needs
|Condition||Provision for in school|
|ASD - Autistic Spectrum Disorder|
|Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders|
|CReSTeD registered for Dyslexia|
|English as an additional language (EAL)|
|Has an entry in the Autism Services Directory|
|Has SEN unit or class||Y|
|HI - Hearing Impairment|
|MLD - Moderate Learning Difficulty|
|MSI - Multi-Sensory Impairment|
|Natspec Specialist Colleges|
|OTH - Other Difficulty/Disability|
|Other SpLD - Specific Learning Difficulty|
|PD - Physical Disability|
|PMLD - Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulty|
|SEMH - Social, Emotional and Mental Health|
|SLCN - Speech, Language and Communication|
|SLD - Severe Learning Difficulty|
|Special facilities for Visually Impaired|
|SpLD - Specific Learning Difficulty|
|VI - Visual Impairment|