The British School in Tokyo
- Mailing address:
The British School in Tokyo
- T 81 (0)3 5467 4321
- F 81 (0)3 5467 4322
- E firstname.lastname@example.org
- W www.bst.ac.jp
- Memberships: Member of Kanto Plains and ISTAA Member of JCIS (Japan Council of International Schools).
- State/Independent: Independent: private non-profit
- Lower School Ages: 3-8
- Lower School Sexes: Co-ed
- Lower School Numbers: 310
- Middle School Ages: 8-11
- Middle School Sexes: Co-ed
- Middle School Numbers: Yrs 4-6: 175
- Senior School Ages: 12-18
- Senior School Sexes: Co-ed
- Senior School Numbers: Yrs 7-13: 180
- Teaching Language: English
- SEN: Mainstream with SEN support
- Boarding: Not available
- Uniform: Yes
- School Year: End of August through end of June with three half term holidays (one per term)
- Fee Currency: Yen
- Fee Details: Tuition : Primary school: 2,100,000 per annum Secondary school: 2,140,000 per annum Capital Development Tuition Fees: Yen 100,000
- Fee Extras: Enrolment (Nursery to Year 13): Yen 300,000; Registration: Yen 40,000 Educational Development Fee/Educational Resources Contribution (Nursery to Year 12): Yen 480,000
- Religion: Non-denominational
GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education)
National Curriculum for England
Council of British International Schools (COBIS) - COBIS is a member of the Independent Schools Council (ISC) and offers British accreditation internationally. As a condition of membership, COBIS schools must undergo a statutory inspection by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI). ISI is the body approved by the Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families for the purpose of inspecting independent schools in ISC under Section 162 of the Education Act 2002. Following a successful ISI inspection, COBIS is able to confer formal accreditation on its member schools worldwide. To confirm whether a school is actually accredited by COBIS, or has been inspected by ISI, you may check their member school directories (COBIS international schools) (ISI School Report Search), and may click on the school's link to read the report.
Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) (DfE BSO approved) - Independent Schools Inspectorate - One of six inspection providers that have been approved to inspect under the British Schools Overseas programme. According to the UK Dept of Education website, to be recognised by the Department for Education, "a British school overseas must have an inspection report which shows that their performance against all the standards is at least satisfactory. This reflects the standards required for continuing registration as a school in England. Schools meeting the standards will have their inspection reports published on the Department's website and will be allocated a unique reference number on the national school reference system, Edubase". A map on this link shows the locality of each British school overseas which has been inspected under the Department's inspection scheme. Individual inspection reports are available to download via the school location pins on the map.
Educational insight in your inbox. Sign up for our popular newsletters.