- Hope Wood Academy
- Head: Mrs Adele Pearson-Atkinson
- T 0191 569 1420
- F 01915 273320
- E firstname.lastname@example.org
- A state special school for boys and girls aged from 2 to 19. Type of SEN provision: ASD - Autistic Spectrum Disorder; HI - Hearing Impairment; MLD - Moderate Learning Difficulty; PMLD - Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulty; SLCN - Speech, Language and Communication; SLD - Severe Learning Difficulty; SpLD - Specific Learning Difficulty.
- Boarding: No
- Local authority: Durham
- Pupils: 195
- Religion: Does not apply
- Latest Overall effectiveness Requires improvement 1
- 16-19 study programmes Requires improvement 1
- Early years provision Requires improvement 1
- Outcomes for children and learners Requires improvement 1
- Quality of teaching, learning and assessment Requires improvement 1
- Personal development, behaviour and welfare Good 1
- Effectiveness of leadership and management Good 1
- 1 Full inspection 7th July 2016
- Previous Ofsted grade: Inadequate on 5th June 2014
- Ofsted report: View the Ofsted report
What the parents say...
No comments received for Hope Wood Academy
Please login to post a comment.
Special Education Needs
The Good Schools Guide writes: Glendene School and Community Arts College caters for children whose primary needs are moderate, severe and profound and multiple learning difficulties. In addition pupils may have a range of other special needs including ADD/ADHD, challenging behaviours, developmental delay, Down's syndrome, specific learning difficulties, emotional and behavioural difficulties, epilepsy, Fragile X, sensory impairment, physical difficulties, Tourette syndrome, conduct disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, Prader-Willi syndrome, Rett syndrome, etc. There is also designated provision for primary pupils with autistic spectrum disorder. The school has a good range of facilities including specialst teaching areas, a sensory room, and soft play room. A number of therapies are used these include: hydrotherapy, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, Sensory integration, and Speech and language therapy. Makaton and TEACCH are used where beneficial.
|Condition||Provision for in school|
|ASD - Autistic Spectrum Disorder||Y|
|Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders|
|CReSTeD registered for Dyslexia|
|English as an additional language (EAL)|
|Has an entry in the Autism Services Directory|
|Has SEN unit or class|
|HI - Hearing Impairment||Y|
|MLD - Moderate Learning Difficulty||Y|
|MSI - Multi-Sensory Impairment|
|Natspec Specialist Colleges|
|OTH - Other Difficulty/Disability|
|Other SpLD - Specific Learning Difficulty|
|PD - Physical Disability|
|PMLD - Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulty||Y|
|SEMH - Social, Emotional and Mental Health|
|SLCN - Speech, Language and Communication||Y|
|SLD - Severe Learning Difficulty||Y|
|Special facilities for Visually Impaired|
|SpLD - Specific Learning Difficulty||Y|
|VI - Visual Impairment|
Subscribe now for instant access to school catchment.
Catchment is only available for English state schools, independent schools do not have catchment areas.
The data is based on actual admissions from the schools years September 2012 – August 2015 inclusive.
September 2012 – August 2013 (2012 intake)
September 2013 - August 2014 (2013 intake)
September 2014 - August 2015 (2014 intake)
September 2015 - August 2016 (2015 intake) released 2017 currently being processed will be published September 2018
September 2016 - August 2017 (2016 intake) not currently available