Thomas Mills High School A GSG School
- Thomas Mills High School
- Head: Mr Philip Hurst
- T 01728 723493
- F 01728 621098
- E firstname.lastname@example.org
- W www.thomasmill…suffolk.sch.uk
- A mainstream state school for pupils aged from 11 to 18
- Boarding: No
- Local authority: Suffolk
- Pupils: 1,099
- Religion: Non-denominational
- Open days: One in October. Two information evenings for sixth form, in November.
- Review: View The Good Schools Guide Review
- Latest Overall effectiveness Outstanding 1
- 16-19 study programmes Outstanding 1
- Outcomes for children and learners Outstanding 1
- Quality of teaching, learning and assessment Outstanding 1
- Effectiveness of leadership and management Outstanding 1
- 1 Full inspection 5th October 2006
- Ofsted report: View the Ofsted report
What The Good Schools Guide says..
Pupils and parents loud in praise of staff, 'they make us work', 'excellent teachers who stay long enough to see things through'. Some have taught parents and grandparents; this really is a community school. The headteacher accepts the need for heads to be good managers but believes teaching must remain at the heart of successful leadership in schools...
Thank the school
Parents and pupils often have cause to acknowledge the help and support they have received from their schools, for example in helping in the choice of further education or careers. "Say thank you" allows you to send a quick note of appreciation to the school in general or to an individual teacher.
This is a thank you to your school, teacher or careers adviser who helped you to get where you are now.
Please fill in the fields below, which we will transform into a letter of thanks from you to them.
2015 Good Schools Guide Awards
- Best performance by Boys taking Design & Technology Food Technology at an English Comprehensive School (GCSE)
- Best performance by Girls taking Engineering at an English Comprehensive School (GCSE)
- Excellent performance by Boys taking Additional Science at an English Comprehensive School (GCSE)
- Excellent performance by Boys taking Art & Design at an English Comprehensive School (GCSE)
- Excellent performance by Boys taking Design & Technology Resistant Materials at an English Comprehensive School (GCSE)
- Excellent performance by Girls taking Additional Science at an English Comprehensive School (GCSE)
- Excellent performance by Girls taking Art & Design at an English Comprehensive School (GCSE)
2016 Good Schools Guide Awards
- Best performance by Boys taking Astronomy at an English Comprehensive School (GCSE Full Course)
- Best performance by Girls taking Astronomy at an English Comprehensive School (GCSE Full Course)
What The Good Schools Guide says
Since 2013, Mr Philip Hurst MA MBA FRSA (very early 40s). Previously deputy/acting head of Philip Morant School, Colchester, where he had taught history earlier in his career; assistant head, Manningtree High School; and head of humanities, Thurstable School, Tiptree. Talent recognised early, as the return to Philip Morant School indicates. Inspired to enter teaching profession by the principal of his own school and believes in long term commitment of heads to their school; unimpressed with practice of heads whizzing around ‘troubleshooting’. Is proud of school’s reputation and thinks high academic standards reflect the excellence of the teaching and wide programme of extracurricular activities that all staff contribute to. Continues to teach his own subject – 'the biggest buzz of the week' - and is seen around corridors; ‘keeps good eye contact with pupils,’...
Special Education Needs
The school aims to provide for all pupils attending Thomas Mills High School and will try to meet the needs of as many pupils as possible in a flexible way.
|Condition||Provision for in school|
|ASD - Autistic Spectrum Disorder|
|Aspergers Syndrome [archived]|
|Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders||Y|
|Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders [archived]|
|CReSTeD registered for Dyslexia|
|Delicate Medical Problems [archived]|
|English as an additional language (EAL)|
|Has an entry in the Autism Services Directory|
|Has SEN unit or class|
|HI - Hearing Impairment|
|MLD - Moderate Learning Difficulty|
|MSI - Multi-Sensory Impairment|
|Natspec Specialist Colleges|
|OTH - Other Difficulty/Disability|
|Other SpLD - Specific Learning Difficulty|
|PD - Physical Disability|
|PMLD - Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulty|
|SEMH - Social, Emotional and Mental Health|
|SLCN - Speech, Language and Communication|
|SLD - Severe Learning Difficulty|
|Special facilities for Visually Impaired|
|SpLD - Specific Learning Difficulty|
|VI - Visual Impairment|