Watford Grammar School for Boys A GSG School
- Watford Grammar School for Boys
- Head: Mr I Cooksey
- T 01923 208900
- F 01923 208901
- E BrownC@watfordboys.org
- W www.watfordboys.org
- A mainstream state school for boys aged from 11 to 18
- Boarding: No
- Local authority: Hertfordshire
- Pupils: 1,389
- Religion: Non-denominational
- Review: View The Good Schools Guide Review
- Latest Overall effectiveness Outstanding 1
- 16-19 study programmes Outstanding 1
- Outcomes for children and learners Outstanding 1
- Quality of teaching, learning and assessment Good 1
- Effectiveness of leadership and management Outstanding 1
- 1 Full inspection 28th September 2006
- Ofsted report: View the Ofsted report
What The Good Schools Guide says..
Very popular, high-performing, partially-selective school with a grammar school ethos. Boys work and play hard with results to match. Sports high profile here, particularly rugby, cricket and hockey. 'We're the best state school in the country for hockey'. The intake is undoubtedly skewed in favour of the top of the ability range, but since nearly everyone gets at least five good GCSEs, those who are less academic are evidently...
What the school says...
Converted to an academy 2011.
Thank the school
Parents and pupils often have cause to acknowledge the help and support they have received from their schools, for example in helping in the choice of further education or careers. "Say thank you" allows you to send a quick note of appreciation to the school in general or to an individual teacher.
This is a thank you to your school, teacher or careers adviser who helped you to get where you are now.
Please fill in the fields below, which we will transform into a letter of thanks from you to them.
2015 Good Schools Guide Awards
- Best performance by Boys taking History at an English Comprehensive School (GCSE)
- Best performance by Boys taking German at an English Comprehensive School (GCSE)
Cambridge Pre-U - an alternative to A levels, with all exams at the end of the two-year course.
What The Good Schools Guide says
Since September 2015, Ian Cooksey, previously head of Dr Challoner's High School for Girls. Educated at Queen Mary’s Grammar School in Walsall and Magdalen College Oxford, where he read biological sciences. Has spent his career in the state sector, first at stellar grammar Tiffin School, Kingston upon Thames, where he rose from biology teacher to assistant head. Moved as vice principal to Tomlinscote School, Frimley, before being charged with taking King’s International School, Camberley, out of special measures, which he successfully achieved. Came full circle back to a state grammar when he joined DCHS as head.
A keen mountaineer, he is married with two small children.
An unashamedly academic curriculum. Everyone tries three languages, and takes at least one to GCSE. Latin and classical civilisation are important departments. Separate sciences...
Subscribe now for instant access to school catchment.
The data is based on actual admissions from the schools years September 2012 – August 2015 inclusive. Data from the school year September 2015 – August 2016 will be available in 2017.
Already subscribed? Login here.
Careers intervention used by this School
|EDT||First Edition with EDT|