Skip to main content

The future

Getting the right statement is seldom a walk in the park and the whole process is currently under review. The aims of the review are to strip away some of the bureaucracy, speed up the whole process and give parents a greater say in how any funds allocated are spent. We shall see.

The now...

The current system leaves the LA in the precarious position of deciding what a child needs by way of extra support, then been legally bound to meet those needs.

Statements are complex and a good understanding of their nuances will help to avoid some of the pit-falls. For this reason we asked  David Ruebain, one of this country’s leading lawyers in the field of education and disability and special needs to explain the legals. He does so in his highly informative article Statutory Assessments and statements of Special Educational Needs

For those new to the whole statementing process we hope the following FAQs will shed some light. 

What is a statement of special educational needs?

A statement of special educational needs is a lengthy, detailed document written by the local authority (LA). It should describe all of a child’s additional educational needs, and the special help and support a child should be given.

What is a statutory assessment?

Statutory assessment is the process that determines what a child's needs are. It is a detailed investigation which may include assessment and reports from those teachers and professionals (such as speech and language therapists)  who have been working to help your child. It is designed to determine both a child’s special educational needs and what special help is  required.

Why are some children assessed?

If the LA decides that all the special help a child needs cannot be provided from within the school or preschool’s resources, they will seek to issue a statement of SEN.

When will the need for statutory assessment be considered?

A statutory assessment, carried out by the LA, may be recommended when a child has severe or complex difficulties or hasn't made enough progress through Early Years Action Plus or School Action Plus.

I would like my child to have a statutory assessment, can I ask for one?

Yes, as long as your child hasn't been previously assessed in the six months prior to the request AND (the tricky bit) the LA considers an assessment (or further assessment) is necessary.

Can anyone other than parents request an assessment?

Yes. Schools and early education providers can ask for an assessment to be made.

Is it true that LAs can stop an assessment being made?

Yes, the LA has to agree that an assessment is necessary. There has been a concerted effort to reduce the number of statements issued so getting the LA to agree could become an uphill struggle.

What should parents and schools do to persuade an LA to agree to an assessment?

Document and detail your case then present it as clearly as possible:

  1. gather evidence
  2. keep detailed record
  3. use checklists to illustrate your case
  4. talk to people who know your child well, teachers, health specialists etc. ask professionals for their input and support
  5. pass to the LA the names of those people you feel should be contacted to give useful information about your child’s needs.

Where can I find out what details should be included?

Assessing a child's special needsObtain an up-to-date copy of the SEN Code of Practice (from the LA or the Dept for Education). This details the evidence the LA has to consider,

it’s always helpful to know how the other side prepares their case.

You may find it useful to have a parental supporter to help you make decisions; they will have experience of the process, understand your concerns and anxieties and provide a different view-point to those who work with your child.

Who will the LA ask for information and how are parents involved in the assessment process?

The LA will ask for information from the parent (or carer), the child’s school or preschool, a doctor, an educational psychologist and anyone else involved with the child.

Parents have the right to attend any interview, medical or other test during the statutory assessment, but it’s not always in the child’s best interests for a parent to be present, so if in doubt speak with the people assessing your child before deciding.

After the LA has collected all the advice and comments, a decision will be made whether to write a proposed statement or a note in lieu for the child.

Can I appeal if my request for a statutory assessment is refused?

Yes. You may appeal to SEND (first tier tribunals) provided there hasn't been an assessment within the last six months.

Are there time limits in drawing up a statement?

Yes. See the table below.


Time frame Action
Within 6 weeks LA must say if an assessment is to be made.
Within 16 weeks If an LA decides to assess a child for a statement, a proposed or draft statement must be given to parents. This should take no more than 10 weeks, unless there is a valid reason such as a need to obtain extensive medical reports.
By week 18 A draft statement or notice in lieu should be issued.
Within 26 weeks Once a draft statement has been agreed, the statement should be finalised and issued.







Buy the books

The Good Schools Guide 20th EditionThe Good Schools Guide London NorthThe Good Schools Guide London South

Straight-talking, invaluable, must have guides to UK schools

Don't choose a school without us

or subscribe online for only £15 and get instant access for a month to:

☑ University admissions results for most schools and university courses.
☑ Comprehensive catchment maps for state schools.
☑ 30,000 schools in our interactive directory.
☑ Parent friendly school search.
☑ Honest, opinionated and fearless independent reviews of more than 1,100 schools in Britain.
☑ School exam results and subject performance.
☑ Compare schools by qualities and results.
☑ Comprehensive advice on state and independent schools, tutors and special needs.

(Multi-month discounts available here)

Related articles