Skip to main content

What's the position on school admissions for children with SEN who don't have an EHCP? Samantha Hale explains

If your child has special educational needs (SEN) but does not have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), then when applying to state schools you will need to go through the normal school admissions process. This means that you will need to apply directly to the admission authority for a school place, which could be either the school, or the local authority on the school's behalf.

What if a school has a place available?

If a state school has a place, it must offer that place on receipt of an admissions application, regardless of whether or not the child has any SEN. However, an application can be refused when there are places available if a child has had two or more permanent exclusions in the last two years.

This does not apply to any exclusion received when the child was below compulsory school age, or to children who have been reinstated following a permanent exclusion.

What happens if a child has difficulty obtaining a school place?

Each local authority must have a Fair Access Protocol, which they should agree with the schools in the area, to ensure that any unplaced children are offered a suitable school place as quickly as possible.

Children with SEN, disabilities or medical conditions without an EHCP, who are having difficulty obtaining a school place, should be included in a Local Authority’s Fair Access Protocol. Whilst this should lead to a child getting a school place, it does not guarantee it will be at the parents’ preferred school.

What happens if there are more applications than places available?

If a school has more applications then places available it must apply its oversubscription criteria to all applications. Some schools will have as a criterion 'medical and social needs' which is usually high priority in allocations.

If your child has a particular medical or social need to attend a specific school, which could relate to any SEN, you could apply under this criterion.

It will be up to the admission authority to decide whether they allow a child to be given higher priority under this criterion. You need to prove that they should. You should state any medical or social needs when you make your application, explain how this is applicable to your school choice, and provide any medical evidence you have to support it.

What if an admission authority refuses a place?

The admission authority can refuse to give higher priority on the basis of a social or medical need. If they do, they would then consider your application in line with the other oversubscription criteria.

Other than to refuse to give you this higher priority, it is unlawful for an admission authority to refuse admission on the basis of a child’s SEN. If an application is refused due to SEN, or you think an admission authority has been unreasonable in refusing an application under ‘social or medical need’, you should seek legal advice.  

Independent schools and SEN admissions

The above regulations apply to state schools only. Independent schools are free to accept or reject pupils as they wish, and have no obligations to accept a child with SEN.

Samantha Hale is a solicitor with Simpson Millar and specialises in Education, Community Care and Public Law  

Most popular Good Schools Guide articles

  • Flexible working - what rights do parents have?

    Parents of children with special needs may need to take more time off work than others. What are your rights to flexible working? What kind of working hours are you entitled to request? How can you challenge an employer's refusal to allow flexible working?

  • Makaton - what is it, and how can it help speech development?

    How does Makaton help speech development? When should you start using it, and why use it even when a child has some verbal ability?

  • Special educational needs introduction

    Need help? Perhaps you suspect your child has some learning difficulty and you would like advice on what you should do. Or perhaps it is becoming clear that your child's current school is not working for him or her, and you need help to find a mainstream school which has better SEN provision, or to find a special school which will best cater for your child's area of need. Our SEN consultancy team advises on both special schools, and the mainstream schools with good SEN support, from reception through to the specialist colleges for 19+. Special Educational Needs Index

  • Why choose a special school?

    Like their mainstream counterparts, special schools must teach the national curriculum and use its assessment procedures, and they have broadly the same duties and responsibilities to children in their care as mainstream schools. An Educational Health and Care (EHC) plan is invariably required to get a place in a special school.

  • Flying with children with special needs

    Travel with a special needs child can be fraught and stressful. And airports can be guaranteed to set your holiday off on the wrong foot. We've asked the UK's airports to tell us how they can help families with SEN and disabled children.

Subscribe for instant access to in-depth reviews:

30,000 Independent, state and special schools in our parent-friendly interactive directory
 Instant access to in-depth UK school reviews
 Honest, opinionated and fearless independent reviews of over 1,000 schools
 Independent tutor company reviews

Try before you buy - The Charter School Southwark

The Good Schools Guide subscription

GSG Blog >

The Good Schools Guide newsletter

The Good Schools Guide Newsletter

Educational insight in your inbox. Sign up for our popular newsletters.

The Good Schools Guide manifesto for parents