Skip to main content

Young people with SEN who wish to stay in education beyond 19 now have strengthened rights under EHC Plans, as Samantha Hale explains

Under the new SEN system, Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP) can support young people post-19, which the old Statements of SEN could not.

Prior to the introduction of EHCP, a young person would be supported through a Learning Difficulty Assessment (LDA), which does not place the same legal duties on a local authority as a Statement of SEN or EHCP.

Now a young person can have all the benefits of an EHCP potentially up to the end of the academic year in which they reach 25 years of age, if they remain in education or training, and the local authority considers it necessary to maintain the Plan.

What are the grounds to maintain an EHC Plan?

When considering whether to maintain a Plan post-19, the local authority (LA) should consider the educational and training outcomes that are stated in the Plan and whether or not they have been achieved. So when the Plan is written it's a good idea to ensure that the outcomes will stretch the pupil and are not too readily achievable.

The LA should also consider whether staying in education or training would help the young person to progress and to achieve those outcomes. It should also consider whether the young person wants to remain in education or training, as they must be involved in the process as adults.

If the outcomes have not been achieved, and it is hoped that they will be if the pupil remains in education or training, and the young person wants to remain in education or training, then the Plan should continue to be maintained, and the relevant funding provided for this.

If the LA decides it is no longer necessary for them to maintain the Plan, they can cease it. If they do, the young person will have a right of appeal against this to the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability).

How to get an EHCP if a young person has an LDA

Each local authority should have a set timetable for when they transition children and young people from a Statement of SEN/LDA. Anyone with a Statement of SEN will need to wait until the time determined by the LA to transition, but if the pupil is approaching 19, they should be due to transition because they will be moving to a new phase of education.

However, if a young person has an LDA they can ask the LA to transition them to an EHCP at any time and this can be earlier than the LA’s schedule, by requesting an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment.

If the local authority agrees to this, they should complete the process within 14 weeks. If they refuse, we recommend that the young person seeks legal advice.


Samantha Hale is a solicitor with Maxwell Gillott and specialises in Education, Community Care and Public Law


Most popular Good Schools Guide articles

  • Special educational needs introduction

    Need help? Perhaps you suspect your child has some learning difficulty and you would like advice on what you should do. Or perhaps it is becoming clear that your child's current school is not working for him or her, and you need help to find a mainstream school which has better SEN provision, or to find a special school which will best cater for your child's area of need. Our SEN consultancy team advises on both special schools, and the mainstream schools with good SEN support, from reception through to the specialist colleges for 19+. Special Educational Needs Index

  • Special schools

    What matters to your child with special needs or learning difficulties is finding the school that best suits them as an individual and will give them the best chances in life.

  • Flexible working - your rights

    If your child has special needs, you are likely to need more time off work than others. The good news is you have the right to request flexible working.

  • Flying with children with special needs

    Travel with a special needs child can be fraught and stressful. And airports can be guaranteed to set your holiday off on the wrong foot. We've asked the UK's airports to tell us how they can help families with SEN and disabled children.

  • Education Health and Care Plans: What should a good one look like?

    There are many tales of local authorities confusing or rushing the EHCP process, and inadequate Plans written as a result. What does a good Plan look like, and why is it important that provision is written under a particular section?

Subscribe for instant access to in-depth reviews:

☑ 30,000 Independent, state and special schools in our parent-friendly interactive directory
☑ Instant access to in-depth UK school reviews
☑ Honest, opinionated and fearless independent reviews of over 1,200 schools
☑ Independent tutor company reviews

Try before you buy - The Charter School Southwark

Buy Now

GSG Blog >

The Good Schools Guide newsletter

The Good Schools Guide Newsletter

Educational insight in your inbox. Sign up for our popular newsletters.