Skip to main content

Children with special education needs (SEN) who don't have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) should have provision made for them in school through ‘SEN Support'.

This has replaced School Action and School Action+ which some children previously had before the law was revised in 2014.

What is SEN Support?

SEN Support should focus on a cycle which requires the school to assess, plan, do and review, to ensure they understand the child’s needs and the support needed to help them make good progress. This is therefore likely to differ according to the individual needs of each child.


To assess, the class teacher must work with the special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCo) to carry out a clear analysis of the child’s needs, and this should include taking seriously any concerns raised by the parents. This should be reviewed regularly and should include input from professionals working with the child and school.


If the school decides to provide SEN Support, they must plan the support and interventions the child needs based on the assessment. The school must make sure the parents are fully aware of the planned support and interventions and they have the parents’ consent.

Do and review

The school should then do the planned support and interventions and should also review the effectiveness of them and the impact of these on the child’s progress. The school should also seek the views of the child and his/her parents. Any changes to the plan following the review should then be done in consultation with the pupil and parent.

Can SEN Support include provision from professionals outside of the school?

Yes, so long as it is decided that provision from an outside professional is needed as part of the SEN Support. Parents should always be involved in the decision to use external professionals and any agreed support should be provided as soon as possible after confirming it is needed.

What can I do if the SEN Support is not provided?

As the school is responsible for SEN Support you should contact the school and discuss this with them. You may want to contact the class teacher or the SENCo first, and if you don't receive a satisfactory response, you could consider making a complaint to the school. The school will have a complaints policy, which sets out the process you will need to follow. This should be provided on request.

What can I do if the school’s plan does not include the provision needed, or if my child is not making progress under SEN Support?

You could raise your concerns with the school as set out above. If you remain unhappy it is unlikely you will be able to take legal action against the school in relation to the SEN Support, unless you think the school is discriminating against your child. In this case you should seek legal advice.

You should consider whether your child’s special educational needs can be met under SEN Support or whether they need an EHCP. An ECHP is a higher level of support than SEN Support for children with special educational needs, determined by a formal assessment (EHC Needs assessment). Not all children will be entitled to an EHCP.

Why should I ask for an EHCP?

EHCPs have many advantages, but they have two key benefits over SEN Support: first, the EHCP will set out what provision is required to meet the child’s educational needs. If this is not provided as set out in the EHCP, there is a legal remedy that can be pursued against the Local Authority, which has a legal duty to ensure it is provided. Second, if an EHCP does not include all the provisions a child needs, the parents or the child (if they are over compulsory school age) can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability) and ask for further provision to be included in it. You can also use this right of appeal to ask for the provision included to be more specific and quantified, as EHCPs are not always written clearly enough to establish the specific provision which must be supplied.

How do I get an EHCP?

You or the school can request an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment from the Local Authority, which will start off the process. The Local Authority could refuse to carry out the assessment, or after assessing they could refuse to issue an EHCP. If either of these happens, you should seek legal advice about your right of appeal. Likewise, if you are successful in obtaining an EHCP I would recommend seeking legal advice regarding your right of appeal in relation to this to make sure it is a good Plan.

With thanks to Samantha Hale, a solicitor specialising in education, community care and public law.

Most popular Good Schools Guide articles

  • Special schools

    What matters to your child with special needs or learning difficulties is finding the school that best suits them as an individual and will give them the best chances in life.

  • Global learning difficulties

    Children with learning difficulties find it more difficult to learn things than most others of their age. Specific learning difficulties may mean a child of average or above average intelligence has trouble with learning to read, perhaps, or with maths. Global learning difficulties are more generalised and are not caused by a specific neural problem.

  • Special educational needs introduction

    Need help? Perhaps you suspect your child has some learning difficulty and you would like advice on what you should do. Or perhaps it is becoming clear that your child's current school is not working for him or her, and you need help to find a mainstream school which has better SEN provision, or to find a special school which will best cater for your child's area of need. Our SEN consultancy team advises on both special schools, and the mainstream schools with good SEN support, from reception through to the specialist colleges for 19+. Special Educational Needs Index

  • Speech and language difficulties (Sp&LD)

    When a child is noticeably behind their peers in acquiring speech and/or language skills, communication is considered delayed. This is referred to as Speech and Language Difficulties (Sp&LD) or Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN).

  • Dyscalculia

    Dyscalculia is a specific learning difficulty affecting the normal acquisition of arithmetic skills. It usually co-occurs with other specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia or dyspraxia.

Subscribe for instant access to in-depth reviews:

☑ 30,000 Independent, state and special schools in our parent-friendly interactive directory
☑ Instant access to in-depth UK school reviews
☑ Honest, opinionated and fearless independent reviews of over 1,200 schools
☑ Independent tutor company reviews

Try before you buy - The Charter School Southwark

Buy Now

GSG Blog >

The Good Schools Guide newsletter

The Good Schools Guide Newsletter

Educational insight in your inbox. Sign up for our popular newsletters.

The Good Schools Guide manifesto for parents