Skip to main content

If you feel that your child is not developing/learning as they should, and strategies put in place to help by your child’s teacher/SENCo/nursery worker are not making a difference, the next step may be an education psychologist’s (EP’s) assessment.

The process

Assessments are generally organised by the school. This may not happen immediately, depending on the school’s arrangement with the educational psychologist, and there can be a long wait for an appointment. The EP will probably come to school, discuss your child with you and his/her teachers, and observe the child in class and perhaps at play. They will also look at classwork, chat to your child and give them some tests to check on skills and intellectual development. EPs are well trained to put the children at ease and relate to them during these sessions, and most children find the session a positive experience with an element of challenge or fun involved somewhere in the procedure.

Feedback from the psychological assessment

The assessment will result either in a report giving an overview of your child's strengths and weaknesses. It can also give recommendations for teaching strategies or additional materials to be used with your child, or advice on suitable school types for your child.

The EP may also recommend a referral to other professionals such as a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist, optometrist or a paediatrician, as well as sources of help such as the child and family consultation services. Don't be unduly alarmed if this happens - the more information available, the better the help that can be obtained.

This assessment and the report may also play a key role in obtaining both a Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC) and perhaps extra time/help in examinations. It is therefore an important document and you should ensure you have a copy and keep it in a safe place. You should also give a copy to a new school or college as your child moves on.

Starting the ball rolling

What do you do if you suspect a difficulty with learning but the teachers don't seem concerned or maintain that your child will catch up given time, or is just average? Do follow up on your hunch.

The key thing to remember is that the sooner your child's difficulties are isolated, identified and dealt with, the less their education will suffer, the more successfully they will learn and the less their self-esteem and self-confidence will be affected.

It is difficult to overestimate the importance of self-esteem in the classroom, and the more this can be protected, the better for your child.

You know your child better than the professionals. If the school refuses to recognise that there is a problem, you can contact your local authority yourself, and they must consider your request – but may not agree to it. In this case you could, if you can afford it, pay for a private assessment. The school may be less inclined to take notice of this than one they have commissioned, however, so ideally you need to get the SENCo on side.



Related articles

  • Classroom help for children with SEN

    Under the Disability Discrimination Act, appropriate help must be provided by schools and colleges so that children with special educational needs are ‘on a level playing field’ with their peers. Someone with dyspraxia who writes very slowly may qualify for extra time in exams, get help with typing tuition and be permitted to use a laptop in class.

  • SEN Professionals

    A number of key personnel may advise, assess and treat your child, to help give them the best possible chances to realise their potential. In an ideal world, a multi-disciplinary team made up of an occupational therapist, physiotherapist, educational psychologist, speech and language therapist and paediatrician would be available to help every child who needs it.

  • Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo)

    A SENCo, or special educational needs co-ordinator, is the school teacher who is responsible for assessing, planning and monitoring the progress of children with special needs. SENCOs work to ensure a child with SEN has their needs met as fully as possible. In English state schools a SENCo should ensure that all staff follow the school’s SEN code of practice.

  • Teaching Assistants

    Teaching  Assistants (TAs) or Learning Support Assistants (LSAs) are taking on increasingly important roles within the classroom, but they are not a replacement for a trained teacher (or therapist) who should maintain overall responsibility for the teaching and learning of all children in their care. 

  • Questions to ask when visiting a school - academic matters

    Don't rely on league tables  - look beyond the headlines. Check-out our detailed analysis of results for English state schools to uncover how well a school does for a child like yours. Whether the most able, least able or Annie Average, what matters is how enthusiastic the school is about teaching and developing a child.

Subscribe for instant access to in-depth reviews, data and catchment:

Comprehensive catchment maps for English state schools inc. year of entry.
 School exam results by subject and performance GCSE, Alevel or equivalent.
 Which schools pupils come from and go onto.
 Honest, opinionated and fearless independent reviews of more than 1,100+ schools.
 Overall school performance by GCSE, Alevel or equivalent.
 School data comparison by A/B weighted, relative success and popularity.
 Compare schools by qualities and results.
 Independent tutor company reviews.

Try before you buy - The Charter School Southwark

The Good Schools Guide subscription

 GSG Blog >    In the news >


Educational insight in your inbox. Sign up for our popular newsletters.

This month 'Breducation'

Are you knowledgeable about Scottish schools? Would you like to review them for the Good Schools Guide? Click here for more information.