How to apply for a British school
Important information about applying for a place in a British school
- Go to: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y to apply for the correct visa for entry into the UK
- In most cases, children arriving from overseas have the right to attend state-funded schools (non-fee paying) in England
- The following children are not entitled to a state (non-fee paying) education: Non-European Economic Area (EEA) children here as short-term visitors. Non-European Economic Area (EEA) children with permission to study in the UK at independent fee-paying schools only.
Good Schools Guide Education Consultants
The Good Schools Guide Education Consultants have more than 20 years’ experience of helping families from Russia - and all over the world - find the best UK schools for their children. Good Schools Guide Education Consultants offer a range of specialist services. For international, overseas or relocating families in search of a top boarding or day school in the UK we recommend The Global Premier School Consultancy
Here is a typical example of how our consultants were able to help a family relocating to the UK from Russia:
The Global Premier School Consultancy - Case study
A Russian family contacted our consultancy service and asked us to advise them on the best English boarding school for their highly academic 16-year-old son. The situation was urgent because their son had decided at short notice that he wanted to study for A levels in England with a view to applying to Cambridge.
Our consultant spoke to the parents and also to the son in order to get as much information as possible about the kind of school they were looking for. They told us that not only did the school need to have an excellent record of getting pupils into Oxford and Cambridge, it should also have a strong choral tradition because their son was a gifted singer.
Our consultant used her research skills and extensive knowledge of UK boarding schools to identify a number of schools in the south of England that offered the necessary combination of outstanding choral music and Oxbridge success. Although it was past the normal sixth form application time she managed to arrange interviews and the boy ended up with a choice of sixth form places. We were delighted to hear subsequently that his application to Cambridge was successful.
The Global Premier School Consultancy typically offers:
- Expert advice about choosing and applying to the best English schools
- Maths and English assessments
- Guidance in how to reach the expected levels in maths and English to apply to a UK school
- Introductions to the best tutorial agencies and/or International Study Centres (intensive English language schools) or one-year GCSE preparation courses
- Accompanied school visits
- Advice on preparing for school admission tests and interviews
- Help arranging hotel accommodation and transport when you come to the UK to visit schools
- Visits to you in your home country
In some cases we can also offer advice in your own language – please contact us for further details about this.
Families seeking advice about applying to schools outside the UK should contact the Good Schools Guide International
Families seeking advice about schools for children with special needs should contact The Special Educational Needs Service