How to apply for a British school
Important information about applying for a place in a British school
- Go to: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y to apply for the correct visa for entry into the UK
- In most cases, children arriving from overseas have the right to attend state-funded schools (non-fee paying) in England
- The following children are not entitled to a state (non-fee paying) education: Non-European Economic Area (EEA) children here as short-term visitors. Non-European Economic Area (EEA) children with permission to study in the UK at independent fee-paying schools only.
Good Schools Guide Education Consultants
The Good Schools Guide Education Consultants have more than 20 years’ experience of helping families from Thailand - and all over the world - find the best UK schools for their children. Good Schools Guide Education Consultants offer a range of specialist services. For international, overseas or relocating families in search of a top boarding or day school in the UK we recommend The Global Premier School Consultancy
Here is a typical example of how our consultants were able to help a family relocating to the UK from Thailand:
The Global Premier School Consultancy - Case study
A family moving to England from Thailand at very short notice asked our consultancy service to find a private school for their two children. This urgent situation was complicated further by the fact that the boy needed a year 10 place and the family wanted his three-year-old sister to be at the same school. The family also wanted a school that offered boarding in case this was necessary in the future.
The son’s international school in Thailand taught the UK syllabus but the family felt that the teaching style there was quite relaxed. They were worried that he might find starting the GCSE syllabus in an English school a culture shock and asked us to ensure the new school had a good track record for looking after children in this kind of situation. They also wanted the new school to have an outstanding reputation for the creative arts, in particular boys’ dance.
Our consultant was able to use her extensive knowledge of UK boarding schools to identify a shortlist of all-through (3 – 18) schools that could meet the family’s needs. Although it was very nearly the end of the summer term she managed to arrange visits and interviews at all three of the schools the family thought might be suitable. The family were delighted when both children were offered places at two of the three schools – they didn’t expect to end up with a choice.
The Global Premier School Consultancy typically offers:
- Expert advice about choosing and applying to the best English schools
- Maths and English assessments
- Guidance in how to reach the expected levels in maths and English to apply to a UK school
- Introductions to the best tutorial agencies and/or International Study Centres (intensive English language schools) or one-year GCSE preparation courses
- Accompanied school visits
- Advice on preparing for school admission tests and interviews
- Help arranging hotel accommodation and transport when you come to the UK to visit schools
- Visits to you in your home country
In some cases we can also offer advice in your own language – please contact us for further details about this.
Families seeking advice about applying to schools outside the UK should contact the Good Schools Guide International
Families seeking advice about schools for children with special needs should contact The Special Educational Needs Service