Bootham School A GSG School
- Bootham School
- Head: Christopher Jeffrey
- T 01904 623261
- F 01904 652106
- E firstname.lastname@example.org
- W www.boothamschool.com
- A mainstream independent school for pupils aged from 3 to 19
- Boarding: Yes
- Local authority: York
- Pupils: 479
- Religion: Quaker
- Fees: Day £6,795 - £17,520; Boarding £19,665 - £30,510 pa
- Open days: Saturdays in September, November and April
- Review: View The Good Schools Guide Review
- ISI report: View the ISI report
What The Good Schools Guide says..
Given the emphasis on a warm, family-type atmosphere, it would be easy to assume a laid-back, rule-less school short on structure and discipline. Not so. Expected standards of behaviour are clear and 'all the usual systems are in place'. No...
Thank the school
Parents and pupils often have cause to acknowledge the help and support they have received from their schools, for example in helping in the choice of further education or careers. "Say thank you" allows you to send a quick note of appreciation to the school in general or to an individual teacher.
This is a thank you to your school, teacher or careers adviser who helped you to get where you are now.
Please fill in the fields below, which we will transform into a letter of thanks from you to them.
2015 Good Schools Guide Awards
- Best performance by Girls taking Classics (General) at an English Independent School (GCE A level)
- Excellent performance by Girls taking Art & Design at an English Independent School (GCE AS level)
- Best performance by Girls taking Classics (General) at an English Independent School (GCE AS level)
- Best performance by Boys taking German at an English Independent School (Level1/2 certificates)
- Excellent performance by Girls taking Classical Civilisation at an English Independent School (GCSE)
- Excellent performance by Girls taking Design & Technology Resistant Materials at an English Independent School (GCSE)
2016 Good Schools Guide Awards
- Best performance by Girls taking Design & Technology Resistant Materials at an English Independent School (GCSE Full Course)
All-through school (for example 3-18 years). - An all-through school covers junior and senior education. It may start at 3 or 4, or later, and continue through to 16 or 18. Some all-through schools set exams at 11 or 13 that pupils must pass to move on.
What The Good Schools Guide saysGiven the emphasis on a warm, family-type atmosphere, it would be easy to assume a laid-back, rule-less school short on structure and discipline. Not so. Expected standards of behaviour are clear and 'all the usual systems are in place'. No alcohol allowed on premises, suspicion of drug taking renders a pupil liable to...
Since September 2016, Christopher Jeffrey BA (50s), previously head of The Grange School, Cheshire. Read history at York. Has also been deputy head at The Perse School, Cambridge. His wife is a nurse; three children. Very involved in the local church, plays the piano and guitar and composes music in his spare time. Fast talking and energetic.
Junior school head since 2013, Mrs Helen Todd, previously deputy head at Edge Grove School and before that head of English and...
Special Education Needs
We do not feel that we have particular special needs facilities which would mark us out as being better equipped than any other school of our type, i.e. one focused on a traditional academic curriculum aimed at select university application. Obviously we do feel that the Quaker ethos gives a particular style to the school which is manifest in the way individuals are treated but this is open to all our pupils and not targeted on those with special needs or gifts. We do not for example have a special needs department, we do not have a dyslexia unit, we do not have particular facilities for physical special needs - indeed the old buildings present us with a real challenge in simply meeting the basic legislative requirements for accessibility! We will always treat each application sympathetically as any school is bound to do but we feel that there is a real danger for us in fostering expectations, because of our reputation for friendliness, which can not be met. GSG says: this is taking modesty to extremes! Nov 09.
|Condition||Provision for in school|
|ASD - Autistic Spectrum Disorder|
|Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders|
|CReSTeD registered for Dyslexia|
|English as an additional language (EAL)|
|Has an entry in the Autism Services Directory|
|Has SEN unit or class|
|HI - Hearing Impairment|
|MLD - Moderate Learning Difficulty|
|MSI - Multi-Sensory Impairment|
|Natspec Specialist Colleges|
|OTH - Other Difficulty/Disability|
|Other SpLD - Specific Learning Difficulty|
|PD - Physical Disability|
|PMLD - Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulty|
|SEMH - Social, Emotional and Mental Health|
|SLCN - Speech, Language and Communication|
|SLD - Severe Learning Difficulty|
|Special facilities for Visually Impaired|
|SpLD - Specific Learning Difficulty|
|VI - Visual Impairment|